Abu Dhabi controversy didn’t erode fans’ trust, says F1 CEO Domenicali
Formula One chief executive Stefano Domenicali said the controversial end to last year’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix had not eroded the trust of the sport’s fans as it prepares to embark on a new era at this weekend’s season-opener in Bahrain.
Max Verstappen clinched his first title at the Yas Marina season finale after race director Michael Masi altered safety car procedures to move only the lapped cars between the Dutchman and race-leading Mercedes rival Lewis Hamilton out of the way.
That allowed Verstappen’s Red Bull, on fresher tyres, to pass Hamilton for the win, leaving the Briton feeling robbed of an unprecedented eighth world title and sparking a backlash from fans.
“I think that to be honest the trust is already there,” Domenicali told Sky Sports F1 pundit and former racer Martin Brundle at Bahrain’s Sakhir circuit.
READ | Ferrari pauses F1 partnership with Russian-based software maker Kaspersky – spokesman
“We had last week, a meeting with all the promoters and all the broadcasters and all the partners. Almost all the places we are going are sold out. That means that Formula One has not that problem,’ the Italian added.
Formula One’s governing FIA has replaced Masi with two new race directors Niels Wittich and Eduardo Freitas, who will alternate in the role.
FIA stalwart Herbie Blash is returning as a permanent senior advisor to them.
The governing body has also changed the wording of safety car rules and is setting up a virtual race control room away from the track, inspired by football’s VAR, to aid the race directors.
Domenicali, a former Ferrari team principal, said it was important to create infrastructure to support the race directors but decisions shouldn’t be made by committee.
ALSO READ | World champion Verstappen raring to go in F1’s new era
“Race direction has to be an entity organised in the proper way. But the race director is a person who has to take the right decision,” he said.
“And he can take the right decision if he is well supported, if he has all the tools that are available for him to make this judgement.”
He said a decision about whether to publish a report of the Abu Dhabi investigation, set to be presented before the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council on Saturday, was up to the body.
“That is the aim, to have let’s say a step forward, to move forward from Abu Dhabi,” he said.
(News Source -Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by Times Of Nation staff and is published from a sportstar.thehindu.com feed.)
Read Also- Latest News | Current Affairs News | Today News | English News | World News Today
TimesofNation.com offer news and information like- English newspaper today | today English news | English news live | times of India | today news in English in India | breaking news in India today | India TV news today & Hindustan times.
You can Read on TimesofNation.com latest news today, breaking news headlines, Top news. Discover national and international news on economy, politics, defence, sports, world news & other relatively current affair’s news.